About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Friday, January 16, 2009

Collisions

Our drive back to Denver after our Christmas vacation with family included an unexpected car crash. Luckily, I wasn’t driving the car that got crashed into, Matt was and Rocket was in it too. I was driving the silver car directly in front of Matt and I saw it happen in my rear view mirror. Of course, we immediately pulled over and hopped out of our cars to see if everyone was OK. First I ran back to the van to see Matt, who was OK, then I got the thumbs up through the window from Rocket, then ran back further and saw the back of the van- not OK, then ran back further to the unknown driver, who initially looked unscathed besides the tears rolling down her face. She explained that she was pregnant and that her belly jammed into the steering wheel and she was now experiencing periodic cramping in her uterus. Immediately, I called for emergency crews from my cell phone which surprisingly, was charged. Then I jumped into the car with her, where she grabbed my hand and placed it on her belly, and I began to pray for the little baby that was inside. Soon she was whisked away in an ambulance and I never saw her again.
I’m not saying I am happy this happened. In fact, I am dreading having to replace the van which was totaled. And I can’t help but wonder what happened to the lady and her baby. But it has reminded me that in a flash of a second, we can be used by God in the most unexpected ways and that is so exciting. One second I am driving along, singing along the radio, and just seconds later and I pleading with God for the life of an unborn person I never even knew existed. Sometimes I struggle with what God’s will is for my life and what paths I should or shouldn’t take, and other times (like in this instance) I don’t even think about it- I’m just thrown in and automatically know exactly what I am supposed to be doing.
It was one more reminder of how God works in chain reactions. When he brings us into contact with another person, we have the chance to affect that person, and you may never know where the chain will end after that. Sometimes we are keenly aware of being a part of that process, even straining to try to be a part of it. And other times we might not even know that we were a part of it, but nevertheless be the beginning (or middle) of a domino effect that will continue for who knows how long.
I may be a small link, but I love being a part of something larger, and I feel so priviledged that Someone decided to include me. It excites me to know that at any flash of a second, I could be brought into contact with something new, something significant, something original, something other than just me. I can’t wait.

4 comments:

Stacy said...

wow - what a great testimony. I still have chills...

WARREN and TRACI Lotter ________________ said...

Thats awesome Naomi!

Catherine at Frugal Homemaker Plus said...

"ometimes I struggle with what God’s will is for my life and what paths I should or shouldn’t take, and other times (like in this instance) I don’t even think about it- I’m just thrown in and automatically know exactly what I am supposed to be doing."

This is so true. I hope the lady and baby are okay. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

You did a good thing. That lady will never forget the comfort and prayers you lifted up for her & her baby.
I asked our Pastor to lift up this lady & her baby in our staff meeting today. We also lifted up a thank you to the Lord that y'all were alright.