About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Jesus Loves Skaters (and so do I)
Tonight was the annual skate competition at the indoor skate park I have been working at for the past year. It was my first time at one of the competitions. I donated the above painting as one of the prizes up for grabs. It was definately the hot prize to win (ofcourse it did have a $100 Zumiez gift card attached to the back of it). I decided to put Jesus on the bottom of the skateboard with a "sk8er" tattoo on his arm. While it is lighthearted and "tongue in cheek" enough to be cool enough for a not churched skater kid (who would wear a "Jesus is my homie" shirt), it also pretty blatantly expresses my most deepest reason for painting at all- and I think it's cool to be able accomplish both intentions at once.
Normally I line the edges of my canvases with decorative furniture tacks, but for this one I afixed large hardware nuts to the sides to give it a more industrial look: I also perfected the art of fotune cookies making- which (little did I know) is a difficult art to master. I used this recipe, but incorporated a lot of my own tweaking before finally getting it right. Inside the cookies are specialized "skater" fortunes and inspirational sayings like, "Say NO to hashpipes, say YES to halfpipes!" and some misfortunes like, "Rocket is a better skater than you- OH SNAP!". But as it turns out, that might not be such a misfortune, since Rocket grabbed the second place prize in the beginners category (a $25 visa gift card) which he already plans to spend on another UNeducational Nintendo DS game. Unfortunately, yesterday he dumped out my entire brand new bottle of magic puppydog potty training spray, which costed $12, and he will have to pay retribution before spending his prize cash... much to his disagreement.
I am still of the opinion that he got extra points from the judges for being such a good natured dodge ball target for the skater kids throughout the year (and for being the youngest competitor). I often wondered if I were doing long term damage to his well being by putting him in such a dangerous environment week after week as I go to help out, but I guess it has payed off for him. This skater kid had a special costume with a cape:Chris (pictured below) got first place in the advanced category:
He won a $130 skateboard, so he should do even better next year. Chris again: At the end of the night, Marvin won my original painting as a first place prize in exceptional skatermanship, which I have to say I am pretty happy about, because Marvin never throws balls at Rocket, and he is one of my favorite skaters. Don't tell the others though. When I told him he better hang the painting in his room, he told me he didn't have a room... which made me pause... and then made me even gladder that he was the one taking it with him.

6 comments:

Cassie said...

LOVE this post.
and the painting.
and marvin....

The Shoup Family said...

I think that you are doing a great job with those kids! Keep up the good work. It's easy for people to love those who fit in. As someone who shares your heart for the misunderstood and the looked down on, I commend your actions! :) And you are right...Jesus certainly loves those skaters!

Nichole said...

This is great I love the painting & screws around it:)

Connie said...

That is so incredible. What a great ministry to be able to be a part of! I so wish our church had facilities to do something like this. Thank you for giving your time, money, talent to this ministry all year long. AND Rocket is the coolest kid there!

Aunt Donna said...

WOW! What a great way to minister to the skater kids. We have some that hang out behind out church - we're always looking for ways to 'bring them in'. One kid came in & it totally changed his life. He's planning on going into the ministry soon. Wahoo on the great painting and great skater-kid, too. Rocket rocks!

Stacy said...

I'm speechless...and I want to build Marvin a room so he has a wall to call his own. makes me curious about his situation...and it's not my business...but I'll be praying for him! talk about tugging the heartstrings!