About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Monday, July 28, 2008

Camping Concoctions

I sure do love making concoctions. One day I want to publish a cookbook called “The Creative Concoctions Cookbook” by Naomi the Concocter. My husband is very unsupportive of my pursuit of concoctions. Usually when I describe to him one of my newest concoction ideas, he says “you WOULD think of that”. What he doesn’t know is that I can see right through him, and while I am devouring my delicious concoction, he is secretly coveting it and thinking “oh boy, I wish I could ask for a bite.” Here is a list of some of my best concoctions:
· Beandip, guacamole and frito hotdog
· Maple rum milk for sipping
· Brownie batter and soft butter pudding
· Hershey syrup and rice crispy banana sandwich
Sometimes my concoctions don’t turn out so well (like the rice pudding and chicken casserole). But I always learn something, and I won’t put any recipes in my cookbook that I haven’t personally tested out.
One of the chapters in my cookbook will be called “Camping Concoctions”. This last weekend, I went camping with my in-laws, and I came up with two great concoctions for this chapter of my cookbook. I will share them with you now:


American Honey Campfire Banana
For this recipe I sliced a banana length wise and then cut some slits into the banana pulp (leaving it in its skin). Then I poured American Honey Liqueur into the banana and then closed it back up again and let it sit for a couple hours to marinate. Then, after the kids went to bed, I opened it back up and added a couple marshmallows to the liqueur-infused banana, then closed it back up and wrapped it up in foil. Then I sat it over the fire for about 10 minutes to bake. When it was good and hot, I opened it up and ate it out of the skin with a spoon. MMMmmmm… it was mushy and scrumptious! I also had another shot of American Honey on the side, which was perfect for my sore body that had earlier been thrown from an ATV and then steamrolled by it.


Ghost town cheese-it buttercup goodies
This recipe I invented after a bumpy ATV ride up an old trail to the top of a mountain where we discovered an old abandoned mining village made up of crumbling log cabins. We had packed a few snacks along with us, so we stopped in the ghost town to have a picnic. This recipe is pretty simple. Remove the top of a miniature peanut butter cup, and then sandwich the remainder of it between two cheese-it crackers. If I had any extra peanut butter on hand, I would have used to it paste the sandwich together and then display them creatively on a platter to serve. This was crunchy chocolaty peanut buttery goodness!


If you want a recipe for a great camping trip (this won’t be in the cookbook), one ingredient you don’t want to forget is Tim (my brother-in-law). Tim makes a camping trip great for a couple reasons. 1. He brings the ATVs. 2. He brings the liqueur (I wouldn’t have come up with my banana creation without him!) And 3. he is usually willing to try out my concoctions, something my husband isn’t willing to do, BUT, we sure do make one cute couple anyways, don’t we?!

11 comments:

Holly said...

I so need to hook you up with my grandma - she too has 'concotions'

like this one:
Grandma Rambo's Rainbow Enchiladas

I can't remember what the rambo part was but I do remember she soaked the tortillas in chicken broth that had food coloring in it- each layer a different color!

She has a new concoction everyday - some are really really gross and others, not so bad -

I'm going to go have some cheez it, chocolate things - those looked great!

Naomi Haverland said...

Those rainbow enchiladas sound fabulous! I sure would like you meet your innovative grandma.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a great time. I keep waiting for you to put a video of Roxanne doing her majorette routine on here.

Anonymous said...

EVERYTHING tastes better when you're camping...especially concoctions.
Ian fav. concoction used to be a sandwich w/ peanut butter, honey & choc.chips...but you have to put it into the freezer for 5 minutes before eating it. His rule, not mine. He was Rocket's age when he made this one up.

Naomi Haverland said...

I bet you have to put it in the freezer because otherwise the honey will ooze out and make your hands all sticky.

The AB club said...

That fire is huge. I'm not sure I want to go camping with you guys. My kids will end up at charcoal brickettes.

Naomi Haverland said...

Becca, you're just like the rest of your family.

The AB club said...

Yes, but Alex and I are out numbered now that we have three kids. And Brooke has already set fire to our kitchen. I'm afraid of what she would do with open flames. I could see her pushing one of her siblings or cousins into the fire. She's got a cute smile, but she's fiesty.

Naomi Haverland said...

I think your mother raised you all to hate big fires and awesome concoctions.
This weekend I am going camping with just Rocket and my dad. I may go crazy building the biggest fire in the world, since all of my fire building urges have been surpressed on the last two camping trips. I may go crazy with concoctions too.

Jolleen said...

It all sound amazing... I'd try it!! I want the banana rice crispy chocolate sandwich!! Your creatively cool with the food too!

The AB club said...

I'll definitely try your concotions, but don't call me this weekend to bail you out of jail after you burn down the entire Rocky Mountain range.