About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Thursday, May 06, 2010

So this is what I've been waiting for, folks... I think.


On Tuesday I took every original painting on of the walls of my house and transported them all the Tastes Wine Bar, where I am booked for the next two months to have a solo art show. It's exciting. It's what I've always dreamed of. This is what the facebook event invitation says:

Please join us for Naomi's first solo art show!

-Enjoy free delicious tapas!
-Enjoy Naomi's paintings of people with deformities, Little Miss Religianity, exotic ocean creatures, and more!
-Pick out your favorite painting on a free button!
-Try out a bottle of wine!
-Chat with the artist!

If you can't make it on the 15th, don't worry. The paintings will be displayed throughout May and June, so stop in any time (although you won't get a free button or tapas).

Event presented by Tastes Wine Bar and Bistro and Jennifer Mosquera
I keep trying to figure out if this is that moment I've been waiting for all my life... if this is what I envisioned it to be or not. My brain sometimes tricks me. It tends to separate every event in my life into two categories; either "this is EXACTLY what I've always wanted!" or "this is NOT AT ALL what I wanted!!", instead of just taking it in for what it is. So it seems that no measure of success would satisfy me, because I would always be wondering if I actually was hoping for something better, and then envisioning what "better" actually would be. "Better" would probably be if it were written about in People magazine maybe. Maybe People mag is the pinnacle of success... no wait... Oprah. I think I could be satisfied with the Westword though...

Nevertheless, I am trying to enjoy the ride. I bought a new shirt to wear to the opening reception. It says "Life is cool and fun"... and it really is... cool and fun. I mean maybe it could be cooler and funner, but who cares. But I bought the shirt on the internet, so I hope it fits good when it gets here, cause if it didn't, that wouldn't be very cool or fun.

Anyways, speaking of success, I've been reading "Outliers: the story of success" by Malcolm Gladwell and in it, he argues that success is not merely talent, but rather talent coupled with many unlikely events and people lining up in order to give someone an opportunity for success. Without the right doors opening, the right stars lining up, etc etc, no one would have the success they do. They owe it to so many different variables besides their own determination or talent.

If my art is considered successful, I was thinking, it really is the result of all these different opportunities from different people and circumstances that just happen to fall into my path.
OK, so I just started to try to write out all of those unlikely happenings, and it become an overwhelming task so I stopped and deleted what I had already wrote. But what it all has taught me is that every person and every situation I encounter, as insignificant as they may seem at the moment, may become something extremely important to m life if I keep my mind open to that. You just never know what potential little encounters may have. Oh gosh, I'm being all vague now, but there's just too many examples to start getting specific!

Anyways, if you're in the Denver area on the 15th, I'd love to see you at the reception! Even if you don't know it, you've probably inspired me or encouraged me in some way or another over the past years... yes, even YOU!

6 comments:

Pops and Mops said...

Even me????? Really even me????

Naomi Haverland said...

Yes, you... especially you.

Mary Beth said...

Congrats of your showing, whether exactly as you pictured or not, it is still a new adventure!

The AB club said...

I am really missing living closer after reading your post. So wish we could be there to cheer you on, or whatever it is you do at wine shows.

Adriane Nau said...

Congrats Naomi- hope it all goes even better than what you imagined! You've truly got such talent!

Cassie said...

hope it was all that you had hoped for and more.
your art truly is amazing and i'm so happy we got to be a part of this night!!!! :)