About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Friday, November 07, 2008

A Pirate Made Out of Trash...


This isn't what I am supposed to be blogging about right now. The important blog is still in processing, and I worked on it for most of the day today, but then the sun went down early (like at 5 oclock... what's up with that?!) and foiled my efforts to complete my super exciting, super important blog, which you will, unfortunatly, have to wait until tomorrow for...



BUT until then, I would like to show off a little something I did for Rocket's school's Fall Festival. The fall festival is like a HUGE deal at the school, and all the parents are expected to volunteer somehow each year. Since I didn't want to have to help run a carnival booth (I would probably yell at the kids), I volunteer to do the artistic stuff. Last year, when I signed up to take care of the door decorating, I thought it would be pretty easy. The theme of our room was"frisbee toss" so I drew a kid throwing a frisbee, and I thought it looked alright. But when I showed up, I realized that other parents were way more creative and had put lights and pompoms and whatnot all over the other doors. I also realized that it was a contest... and I didn't even make 1st, 2nd or 3rd place, and I was soooooo embarresed. I wasn't going to let that happen this year, so I squeezed my brain out for the most creativest idea it had- trash. The theme this year was "Treasure Island", and I sure hope that no other parents out there come up with something more innovative, out-of-the-boxish, and awesome, than a pirate made out of trash- plus it has a really PC message about recycling and I think public school like that kind of thing.


Items I made my pirate out of: water bottles, milk jugs, shampoo bottles, electrical cords, tin cans, PVC, soda pop cans and liters, nuts and bolts, straws, cleaning product containers, lotion pumps, light bulbs, a door knob. The letters are all cut out of food packaging or magazines and such. The shark is made out of a taco bell plastic platter thingy, and the speech bubble is made out of a milk jug and he is saying "AAaaaarrrrr".

If you can't tell, I am actually really proud of this project- maybe even more proud than any peice of art I've create for a show. The festival is tomorrow... I'm looking for a first place ribbon.

5 comments:

The AB club said...

So did you win? I think it's aweswome and I'm trying not to be jealous of my artisic abilities.

Anonymous said...

That is just too, too, too!
Too Cool ~
Too Cute ~
And Too Ingenius!

I love the use of everyday around the house stuff/recyled stuff. I try to do some of that when crafting Christmas ornament goodies.

I hope your door wins. It certainly looks like a winner to me.

Stacy said...

I love your creativity...it's very addictive!

WARREN and TRACI Lotter ________________ said...

I love this pirate. Gives me an idea for the boys' room (we're going to repaint/decorate). How inexpensive is trash after all!!!??! Gives a new meaning to 'trashing their room' (ha ha).

Sarah said...

Now I am so glad that I did not post a picture of the party favor bag I did for Elise's preschool. Think orange bag with black shapes... I will leave the rest to your imagination as I am sure the result will be better than the real thing.