About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Palettes and Inspiration

<span class=
With about 6 or so hours free every day now, I feel like I am finally able to live out my dream life. I didn't realize how difficult it would be to stay on track towards achieving that, but I have everything that is necessary to do so- I just have to be disciplined about it. I've been imagining this time in my life ever since I discovered that I was pregnant for the first time about 9 and a half years ago... of course, since then, I've been able to live a life I didn't even know I wanted, but now is the time to live the life I DID know I wanted.
I don't have any new art work to show, so I thought I would display some of my ever evolving paint palettes (above). Sometimes they end up looking better than the art itself. Sometimes I think the palette is like the life I didn't even know I wanted- random, unplanned, messy...but colorful and beautiful anyways- in its own way.
Ahhhh... I sure do love metaphors... :)

Even though I don't have any new art to post, I have been working hard, and have multiple pieces of art in progress. So they will probably come together all at about the same time. But here is a preview of some of the things that have been inspiring me and will definitely be creeping into some paintings soon:

We went to the aquarium earlier this month, and I discovered "mermaid's purses", which I had never heard of before- very very cool little things! Basically it is just a shark egg sac for a baby shark to grow in. But "mermaid's purse" sounds more magical, and this is definitely a magical, yet completely authentic, concept. At the aquarium, they had the egg sacs pinned to a translucent white light-up board, so that the inner part of the sac was illuminated and you could see the baby shark inside swimming around. The whitish colored ball is the yolk of the egg. The picture to the right is even more incredible. It is a man-made sac, out of transparent material, so you can see the little sharkie in detail- actually swimming around in there!! Cool, huh?? Will be on canvas soon (hence the mostly blue palette in the upper right corner of my palette picture)!!
My new friend, Heather, came over on Wednesday to paint with me. We discussed how maybe some day in the future, scientists will be able to make man made wombs and transfer babies into them, and we will be able to pin them up on the wall and observe them. Funny idea.


The other painting I am working on will combine elements of these two pictures of Roxanne. The expression on her face in the second picture reflects the fact that I had my camera out more than her actual feelings about the penny horse- that's the reason for the first picture. There will also be elements of the King Soopers logo (which I love!) and religious/spiritual connections (how can you possibly ponder the joy of the penny horse without bringing God into the equation?)... AND this will be a part of a dip-tic. I already have both of the canvases purchased (yay for selling jewelry!) The counterpart features a pretty crazy boy with a mullet named "Rocket".




3 comments:

Connie said...

OK, I have two comments....one it couldn't have been nine and 1/2 years ago because then you would have had like a 11 month pregnancy and even though it may have felt like an 11 months pregnancy I don't think it was. Second, it is interesting that the subject matter of the art you are now being able to do is what kept you from this life for the past nine years or so.

jodi duby said...

love=) you have ideas brewing and stuff in motion. i can't wait to see!!! busy weekend here... steve's mom's putting on a HUGE going away party (really a graduation party... she didn't tell me i could invite people till a couple weeks ago... this has been planned since may), and going to ann arbor all day sunday to be with my older brother and his family. hopefully i'll post some pics of stuff this next week!!!

Naomi Haverland said...

I don't know why you're doing so much math, mom. It's rude.
And, I don't think sharks kept me from doing art. I have no clue what you're talking about.