About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

He Sees You When You're Sleeping???
I have learned one new thing about humans this month. I think that babies come into this world instinctively believing in Santa Clause. Unless that innate knowledge is intentionally molded, they will continue to believe in Santa Clause. I have always intended to never lie to my kids. Of course, as I have encountered certain situations, I have made a few exceptions. One of those situations includes when my kids ask, “what are you eating, Mom?”. I am allowed to say “nothing” or “crap” or “something yucky that only adults eat”. That is an acceptable lie. However, to lie to my kids about an illusionary man that leaves you presents at night… that is just ridiculous to me- especially at an age where the concept of Jesus is just as abstract, if not more, as the concept of Santa. Now, I will admit, I haven’t sheltered my kids from Mr. Clause. (but maybe I should have), in fact, they met “one of them” just last week at the mall. However, I have always buffered these encounters by saying “you know, that man isn’t really named Santa Clause. He is just pretending.” But my efforts seem to be useless. Last year Rocket even emptied the soot out of my in-laws fireplace in pursuit of “Santa”. This year, we are not giving “Santa” any credit for the presents we give our children. They are all from Mommy and Daddy. Sooner or later, the kids will come to their senses, and when they do, I will snidely say, “I told you so!”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh - great picture. Your kids are soooo sweet & innocent looking...but as moms we fully know the other side of that coin. *G* Wonderful picture.

As far as Santa - we told the boys that Santa was a real person who loved kids and loved to give. We celebrate his spirit of love and giving by doing the Santa Claus thing. Therefore if you are loved, you will always receive something from Santa. =} And yes, we stress that we are celebrating Jesus' birthday by exchanging gifts in His honor. Oh, and the boys can only ask Santa for 3 things each...tradition says that Jesus rec'd 3 things on his birthday, therefore 3 is enough for them. They get more stuff from family members, but Santa brings 3.
I mailed a box of goodies to y'all today. Hope you like 'em. Enjoyed your Christmas Newsletter...I look forward to your new tradition. *G*

Naomi Haverland said...

That is a good way to explain Santa. But THREE presents from Santa???? That sounds like a lot!
I'll be watching for the package. The kids still love their sock creatures from last year.

Anonymous said...

Yep- 3 gifts from Santa...usually pretty modest gifts. We told them that Santa has SOOOOO many kids to do gifts for they we mustn't be greedy & ask for big expensive things. *G* (Gotta brain-wash 'em early that Mama & Daddy aren't made of $$$.)

Wish the kids' gifts were homemade this year...alas I found a great closeout sale & bought theirs months ago. BUT yours & Matt's are homemade. (Don't get your hopes up for Blake's salsa...the garden croaked this year.)