About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Saturday, December 16, 2006


Christmas Paper and Bows are Sooo Last Year!


Growing up, my favorite part of Christmas time was wrapping presents. My mom taught me to always wrap gifts beautifully. While attractive wrapping paper and a big bow is a classic way to make a stunning gift, it is not always very economically friendly nor ecologically friendly. Neither is it friendly to your creative juice thirsty brain that is always seeking ways to be sharpened. This year I have been exploring more resourceful ways to wrap gifts while not sacrificing the aesthetic value of its appearance. I have come up with many new ideas and know that I have only brushed the surface of possibilities.
This year I only bought one roll of solid wrapping paper (so it is versatile), but next year I think I will challenge myself to not buy anything at all… except for tape, of course. Wrapping paper is pretty expensive considering it is intended to be thrown away, and there are so many other beautiful replacements available. I found that many retail stores these days give out some really attractive paper bags with your purchase. Namely, American Eagle has really cool bags. Christopher and Banks also has a neat bag, but they would not give one to me without a purchase, and ummm… I had already done all my Christmas shopping for my mother-in-law. Also, magazines are full of great images designed by professional graphic designers- so don’t throw them away when you’re done reading them- use them to wrap. Some other ideas I thought of to replace the wrapping paper are maps, old book jackets, painted newsprint, scrap fabric, and newspaper.
Bows are probably the most expensive part of wrapping a gift, but they add the most character to a present. I always save old bows, so I don’t have to buy new ribbon. But there are also a lot of bow alternatives too. This year I used old cassette tape ribbon to make one bow. You can also use old VHS tape too. You can also make bows out of rope or shredded paper. Last week I made a bow out of toilet paper, but it was kind of a joke.
Besides a bow, there are zillions of other ways to decorate a present to equal beauty! Magazines, old Christmas cards and photocopied pictures are great for cutting out images to collage onto a gift. . Rhinestones can make the gift sparkle. The more you look around, the more gift decorations you will find. I used food packaging to make a pop art inspired present. I also thought playing cards would make a cool gift.
Some might think it is a waste of time to put so much energy and creativity into something that is temporary, but lately I have been concentrating more on the value of enjoying perishable artwork (like decorating Christmas cookies). Even though it might not last forever, the process was more important than the product. And, every time you exercise your creative abilities, there will be one lasting outcome. Your brain will be sharper! If nothing else, you can always take pictures of them, like I did.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's inside the DR PEPPER present?

Naomi Haverland said...

Nice try, Matt.

Anonymous said...

VERY Creative - with a Capitol C! *G*
Love you ideas, philosophy, and just plain fun creativity and resourcefulness.
I admit, I'm pretty boring when it come to wrapping...since the boys were born I'm doing good to get anything wrapped! But I can share this - when they go to birthday parties I usually buy a plain brown gift bag or plain brown mailing paper/paper grocery bag & have the boys draw, color & decorate it for the person the gift is for. Saves me $, make them be more a part of the gifting than just picking up a toy at Walmart.

I also confess to be a gift bag hoarder. I hang on to these bags & re-use them for years! We have one blue bag that has been used for at least 9 Father's Days now...it's looking pretty rough, but it's now a silly tradition & family joke! *G*
What's in the Dr Pepper Present???? *G*

Anonymous said...

Okay now I feel guilty. I bought wrapping paper this year and no bows. The paper was one sale two for one! Tim was in this spirit last year and wrapped his brothers gift in plain brown paper sacks. Then using a Chipotle bag added some instructions. Tim had a great time wrapping the gift and his brother just laughed at the sight of it!