About Me

My photo
This is my blog AND my website now. Click on the " my paintings" tab to view my paintings. Scroll down to read my blog.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

An Update On Charlotte
This weekend, we decided it was time to release Charlotte from captivity. Although we enjoyed our time with her and her babies, we thought that she might be happier raising them in the wilderness (actually, to tell the truth, there was one member of our family that wasn't exactly "tolerant" of her differences). So we drove a couple blocks from our house, into the mountains, and set her free. I laid her down on a rock, and we all said our goodbyes. I could tell that even that one family member (I wont mention any names) was getting emotional during the fairwell. Then we walked back to our car and buckled the tearful kids into the car and before driving away, that one family member and I decided to go back and say one last goodbye. But she was gone. I haven't heard from her since then, but I imagine that she is happily carrying around her quickly growing offspring around on her back... occassionally eating one or two... but being a good mom for the most part. Before she knows it, they will be big enough to crawl off her back and start lives of their own. I can only hope that one of them will come back to visit me. And if they do, I will catch them and trap them and release them a month or two later.

This is Charlotte on the evening that we released her.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it sounds like there is only one sane member of your family.

Naomi Haverland said...

Yeah, I know... and it's not you, MATT!

Anonymous said...

I think that there is an anonymous person out there leaving messages in a desperate attempt to make it sound like I am attacking my dearest friend, Naomi. However- I feel it is important to clear my name. My feelings on the spider I admit aren't the most positive, but it was fascitnating to see the babies on her back. I am happy to know she is back in the wild.